Pages

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Be His Hands and Feet

I can't do Wordless Wednesday today because my heart has too much to say. We are SO blessed, yet we take so much of it for granted. My eyes were opened wider yesterday as I drove past a man holding a sign that said something about falling on hard times. He was out in the almost 90 degree heat with his shaved head exposed to the sunlight. I thought quickly, what can I do to help? I happened to have a ball cap in my car, so I yelled out my window and asked him if he'd like to have it. He was so thankful to have something to cover his head. I pulled away in tears. A ballcap...that I can easily replace. My thoughts turned to, "What else could I have done? I had an extra can of sunscreen I could've given him. I had some cash on me for once." But then the Lord spoke to me and said that I had done more than most people.

The Bible tells us to be prepared for the Lord's return in Matthew 24:44 (AMP), "You also must be ready therefore, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour when you do not expect Him". As I meditate on this verse, it makes me think that God wants us to also be ready to be His hands and feet while we wait on His return. We were put on this earth to do the work of the Lord. If I had not thought quickly, I would've been just another car that passed that man by.

How can we be prepared to be His hands and feet?

I think I can answer this question with two simple answers. The first thing I believe, is to be obedient to everything you hear Him telling you to do. You know it's Him speaking to you when it lines up with His word. Sure, this man with the sign could've been playing people. He could be doing just fine and wanted to go out and make some money by playing people's heart strings. But, the Bible says in 1 Peter 4:8-9 (AMP), "Above all things have intense and unfailing love for one another, for love covers a multitude of sins [forgives and disregards the offenses of others]. Practice hospitality to one another (those of the household of faith). [Be hospitable, be a lover of strangers, with brotherly affection for the unknown guests, the foreigners, the poor, and all others who come your way who are of Christ's body.] And [in each instance] do it ungrudgingly (cordially and graciously, without complaining but as representing Him)". So as far as I'm concerned, I did what the Lord put on my heart to do and if this man were playing people, then he will have to face the Lord with his sins.

Secondly, be watching for opportunities to love others. Jesus says in John 15:12 (AMP), "This is My commandment; that you love one another [just] as I have loved you." How can you show love today? Maybe you should start in your own home! When is the last time you played a game with your kids? Fixed breakfast for them? Taken them somewhere special? Said, "I love you."? What about your spouse? Do you greet them with a smile and a kiss? When is the last time you spent quality time together, just the two of you? Do you wave at your neighbors as you leave, or do you turn and purposely look away? Have you given away any of your possessions to someone who might need it, or are you holding on tightly to what God has blessed  your life with? Opportunities to love are everywhere. All you have to do is take a couple seconds longer to start thinking differently. Start thinking about how you can be a blessing to someone today.

Be blessed my friends, and please let me know how you are being a blessing to others. I'd love to hear your stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment