Pages

Friday, June 15, 2012

Father's Day

Today I'm thinking about Father's Day. That one day of the year where we honor the special men in our lives. To be honest, I'm having a hard time with it this year. My husband and I had an argument last night over one of the children and I didn't have a great childhood and it was mostly my dad's fault. So I have a decision to make; either I can dwell on what happened last night with my husband and 15+ years ago with my dad, or I can choose to celebrate the things they have blessed my life with. I choose the latter!

I'll start with my husband. He is one of the most selfless men I've ever met and I've always admired that about him. Even though I dread how often he is away from us, he sacrifices so much of his time to earn money for his family. He's so creative and inventive. Many times I've wondered why he can't just stay home and teach the children. I think they'd be better off with him over me because he's so intelligent and knows how to make learning interesting. He's also very supportive. He's been there for me every time I sang a solo, or had a huge decision to make. He stole my heart the very first time I met him. It was at church. I was so surprised to learn that he was interested in me too. I didn't feel worthy to be loved by such a great, Christian man. We dated for 3 months before we were engaged, and we said "I do" just 3 months later. It was on that day that my son got to call him dad. Six months after we were married, my husband adopted my son. That was one of the happiest days of my life. I was so happy for my little boy to have someone he could call Dad. We created many memories through the years and we now have a son who will turn 4 soon. The years just go by so fast. I love my husband with all my heart and can't imagine my life without him. I have something special that God put in my heart to give him on Father's Day and I can't wait to share it with you. I'll post pictures after I give it to him.
Me and my hubby

And now...my dad. He was an alcoholic during most of my childhood. But, as an adult, I just praise God that he has been alcohol free for many, many years. I have put the past behind me. I have let it go with the help of Jesus. Now I see my dad for who he really is. He is an extremely hard worker and always has been. As a child, I lived on a farm. We had chickens, cows, pigs, dogs, cats, ducks and a really big garden. Even though us kids had to do a lot of the work, my dad is the one who held it all together. It was a lot of hard work. He held down the same job for over 40 years. And now that he is retired, he hasn't slowed down a bit. He always finds something to do, which brings me to another quality that I love about my dad. He's so giving! He gives much of his time to his family by helping them mow their grass or anything else they need help with. He gives with money when he knows there's a real need. He's never been the best at showing his love, but I know my dad loves me with all of his heart and I love him just the same. My dad isn't feeling well today and anytime he gets sick, I think about what my life would be like without him. I don't like thinking that way. I'm not done making memories with him yet. The memories...working at the same place for 10 years and taking lunch breaks together, walking together at different parks for exercise while talking about anything and everything, living 1 mile down the street, moving away, dancing together at my wedding, graduating, holding his grandchildren for the first time. I love my dad and I rejoice in knowing that he's still here with me, even though we are miles apart. I look forward to creating so many more memories.

Me and my dad

Happy Father's Day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment